February 11, 2009

Numbers Part 3: Cosmos and Me...Feeling Tiny

Carl Sagan has always been a bit of a hero of mine. As a child I have a few memories of watching Cosmos, a fantastic show that took the viewer across space and time. I've had my copy of the book Cosmos for almost as long as I can remember...its pages never ceasing to ignite my imagination.

One cool thing that fits into my Numbers saga is the 'Cosmic Calendar'...a calendar that has 12 months and that represents the total time that the universe has existed. Humans only make their debut in the evening of the last day of the year.



Here is Carl Sagan explaining the calendar...


And I cannot resist another...making me feel even smaller!


...it just makes you want to hug somebody, eh?

4 comments:

Sepiru Chris said...

Dear Simmers (a.k.a. in need of a hug),

Well, you might be feeling small as a portion of pixel on the edge of a curve of a miniscule of a parentheses on a footnoted marginalia in that cosmic calendar(I am not helping, am I?) but you are pretty darn big in my books for finding this great stuff and both packaging and presenting it to us.

Thank you so very much.

Tschuess,
Chris

simmers said...

hey Chris, thanks for making me feel smaller and bigger at the same time!

I've almost finished up digesting your two recent vids. You're a hard blogger to keep up with!

Nature Nerd said...

love the nerding out simmers!

Nature Nerd said...

Oh my god John. If people with new born babies can update their blogs, then people with 4-day weekends should maybe be able to do so as well, no?