July 29, 2008

new old sport

Mountain biking!

I haven't been so excited about mountain biking since 1986 when my buddy Jeff and I went in the first known races together. "The Hell of the Desert" was the first race in Kamloops...I think Jeff was first or second and I was third. Him on his Fischer Hoo-Koo-ee-Koo and me on Jeff's old Kuwahara Shasta that cost me 300 bucks(rip-off...he's still a business man). So much has changed since the days of hite-rites, bio-pace, 18 speeds, long stems, double-butted chromolly tubing, u-brakes, and rigid everything. After nearly 20 years of neglecting the sport, I've taken the plunge and purchased a rather sexy machine. In fact, all modern machines are sexy. They have personality...and are well travelled. Mine travels over 6 inches front and back, has hydraulic disc brakes, 27 speeds, and tubing you'd find on the space shuttle. It's a different game. If I were to capture my memories of mountain biking from the past, they would include...
-80's: steep hill climbing...the steeper the hill, the more a man the boy was.
-80's: a particular rocky and bumpy downhill...on mount Dufferin in Kamloops...I remember the vibrations were so severe I could hardly hang on to the bars and use my u-brake.
-mid 90's: the twonie race in Whistler...did fine on uphill part but remember a combination of shitting my pants and fore-arm cramps on the downhill topped off by people laughing at my bike.

Laugh no longer for I have the beast!

I've joined the local band-wagon of people (re)discovering the sport. Recent memories include...
-smashing through anything
-rocks and roots are no longer obstacles.
-Ryan chasing me down a trail egging me on but at the same time, due to guilt, advising me to 'take it easy Simms'. (he broke Rob's wrist)
-Verena: "Oh, come on John, you can do that drop....come on!!" (as I'm pussy-footing over a steep thingy)

yup, different sport. And I love those brakes.

And that pino grigio is one ounce from being gone...and none of the house chores I wanted to do are done but I don't care...cuz I just wanna riiiiiide!!! cuz you don't know me!!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Hey, I wasn't anywhere near Rob when his wrist broke. Weak wrists are likely the problem.